Your car won’t start—now what? Here’s how to jump start your car:
Steps to Jump-Start:
- Park both cars in neutral next to each other and make sure they are close enough for the cables to reach but are not touching.
- Connect the first end of the red cable (positive) to the positive terminal on the other car’s battery. Do the same for the non-working battery.
- Connect the black cable (negative) to the negative terminal on the other car’s battery. Attach the other end to a grounding point on your car, like a bolt or bracket, away from the dead battery. Check your owner’s manual, because some cars have negative jump-starting poles for that purpose.
- Ensure that both cables are away from any moving parts and then start the engine of the working car.
- Wait a minute, and then try starting your car. If it doesn’t work, let it charge a bit longer and try again.
- Once you get your car started up, make sure to drive it for at least half an hour before shutting off the engine again.
Remember, dealerships will help you out, too! Ask Lee’s Summit Honda for any help you need.
Take a look at the 2016 Honda CR-V!
More driving tips: Drive Safely in the Slush